Monday, December 8, 2014

A recipe from the family Thanksgiving: Apple Salad

Over the holidays I made a couple of dishes.  Each will get it’s own post:  Apple Salad (not low carb!), Sausage-Cabbage Dressing/Stuffing, and Lemon Supreme Cheesecake.  Let's start with the Apple Salad.  :-)


This dish is a family tradition for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Responsibility for making it shifted to me about 10 years ago.  As my sister pointed out this most recent Turkey Day, it’s never exactly the same twice in a row.  Here the version I made this Thanksgiving, which I give 5 wing flaps!

Ingredients:
3 apples (mixed variety, including a Granny Smith), chopped into small bite-sized pieces
½ pineapple, cut into chunks
¼ cup dried cranberries
2T real mayo
2T lemon full-fat yogurt

Mix all of the ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Makes 2-3 cups.  I think!  It will keep for 3-4 days, then it gets bitter.

NOTE:  an apple corer-slicer works well for the apples - just make sure your apples are not the large ones.  Or lopsided.  Also, I buy the pineapple peeled and cored but not cut up.  The apple corer-slicer works well for cutting the pineapple into strips.

NOTE 2:  in the past, I have included walnuts or pecans, toasted.  Also, the yogurt is normally no sugar added vanilla or fat-free plain.  I think I prefer the lemon yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment