Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pizza! Pizza!



I miss pizza.  Eating just the toppings off a regular pizza doesn’t cut it.  Using a portabella mushroom cap, while good, doesn’t always cut it.  Using a meat crust, also while yummy, doesn’t always cut it.    The gluten-free pizza from Westshore Pizza, while tasty, doesn't always cut it.  

Cauliflower was on sale recently.  I decided to try out one of the many cauliflower pizza crust recipes out there on the ‘net.  I have NO idea with which recipe I started.  I tweaked it and came up with this.  I give it 4 wing flaps!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Ingredients
1 head cauliflower, stalk removed
.5 cup shredded Colby Jack (I started with cheese cubs and pulsed them in the blender - just grate it, it’s easier) (original recipe called for Mozzarella)
.25 cup grated Parmesan (I pulsed mine in the blender)
.5 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (original recipe called for ½ t dried oregano)
.25 t garlic powder
.5 teaspoon Jane’s Krazy Mixed-Up Salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten (try using only 1 egg)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Prepare pizza pan (I buttered mine because I’ve never used it before and didn’t know if it is non-stick).  If you don’t have a pizza pan, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Break the cauliflower into florets and pulse into itty-bitty pieces.  I used my blender.  Most recipes I’ve read for cauli-rice, cauli-pizza, etc. instruct the reader to pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until fine.  NOTE:  I used my blender BUT it’s quicker to grate it, as you would cheese.

Steam cauliflower in a steamer basket and drain well.  Let cool.  Drain the cauliflower.  (VERY IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT try to squeeze the water out of the cauliflower before it cools - freshly steamed cauliflower is HOT and WILL burn your bare hands!  Ouch! Yes, that's what I did!)  To drain:  use a clean smooth cloth napkin to wring the water out of the cauliflower.  Get as much water out as possible.  You want DRY cauliflower or the crust will be limp after it’s baked.  Try partitioning the cauliflower and drying it in portions to get maximum water expulsion.

While the cauliflower is steaming and cooling, combine the cheese and seasonings.  Lightly beat the eggs.  When cauliflower is cool, add it to the cheese mixture and then add the eggs.

Transfer the mixture to the center of your pizza pan (or baking sheet) and spread it into a circle, resembling a pizza crust. Bake for 20 minutes.

Add desired toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes.

NOTE:  The crust is a bit soggy.  Try using only 1 egg next time.  Try flipping the crust halfway through 1st baking. 

Nutritional info:
Fat:  36.63g (55.6%)
Protein:  43.27g (31%)
Carbs:  17.71g (13.4%)
Calories:  527 cal

BBQ hotdog pizza on a cauliflower pizza

P.S. No posts for a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment