Monday, September 1, 2014

Using leftovers for lunch

Hi!  Happy Labor Day!  I hope you are taking the day for some R&R.  I am!  I baked some Italian Rev Rolls this afternoon.  For those who don't know, Rev Rolls are short for "Diet Revolution Rolls" from the Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution book (1972).  He made his with cottage cheese. I make mine with mayo because I rarely have cottage cheese in the house.  Although ... cottage cheese sounds yummy right now.  Back to the topic at hand ... Rev Rolls can be sweet, savory, or plain.  They work fabulously as a vehicle for sandwiches.  I've seen them used in desserts.  Between the ham I baked last night and the Rev Rolls today, three guesses what I'm having for lunch and the first two don't count.  Yup!  Ham sandwich!  Doesn't that sound absolutely delish??? :-)

Rev Rolls store well in the fridge.  Store them in a zipper bag with wax or parchment paper between each role.  They will soften up a bit on the second day.  I don't think I've tried freezing them.  I eat mine within 3 days or so. 

6 finished Italian Rev Rolls - see the specs of Italian Seasoning?

Here's my recipe for Italian Rev Rolls.  Make sure to see the Notes (having to do with Cream of Tartar and yolks in the whites) at the bottom.


Italian Rev Roll


3 XL eggs, separated
3T mayo
1/2t Italian seasoning
1/2t Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt
1 drop liquid Splenda

Whip the egg whites until they are ultra stiff.  And I mean STIFF!



See how stiff they are?  There's a chunk sticking up towards the top of the bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix the yolks, mayo, seasonings, and Splenda.

Fold the two mixtures together. Start by adding a little bit of the egg whites to the yolk mixture to lighten the yolk mixture. Then, in thirds, fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites.

Drop into 6 equally-sized rounds on a buttered (parchment paper lined) cookie sheet or a muffin-top pan.


Mixes folded together and put into a muffin top pan (these are a little runnier than normal).

Bake at 325F for 18-20 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

Nutritional Informational for the entire recipe:
Carbs:  1.34g (1%)
Protein:  21.89g (18%)
Fat:  44.30g (81%)
Calories:  526

Notes:
1.  You can use Cream of Tartar to help stiffen the egg whites. I usually do and didn't this time because I don't have any in the house.


2.  EVERY recipe I've seen on the web for whipping egg whites says something to the effect of "When whipping the egg whites, the bowl must be absolutely dry and clean or they won't whip up" And "Make sure that, when separating the egg, not even one speck of egg yolk is left in the whites or they won't whip up."  I call BS on both of those statements.  Why?

Because when I separated the eggs (the first time), I tried the plastic bottle technique (sucking the yolk back out of the bowl after cracking the egg into the bowl) and one of the yolks broke.  Unfortunately, I'd done what I know not to do - cracked the second egg into the bowl with the white of the first egg.  Oops.  I ended up making scrambled eggs using those two eggs because I hadn't eaten yet.  And I started over.

The second time, I used the same bowl - after washing it.  It was still a little damp when the egg whites landed in it.  Then I used the "pass the egg yolk back and forth between the shell halves" to separate the first egg.  The yolk broke!  I got most of the yolk out and continued with the second and third egg.  Normally, I'd have started over but I wanted to test the "not a speck of yolk" instruction.  Below is the picture of the egg whites before whipping.  As you can tell from the photo above, at least the little bit of yolk in the whites didn't matter.  Remember - I didn't use Cream of Tartar either.

Egg whites before whipping.  See the egg yolk in the south east corner of the bowl?

No comments:

Post a Comment