Monday, August 25, 2014

Cauliflower & Ham Salad

Happy Monday!  Did you survive with all of your hair still in your head?  Or did you pull some out? LOL It was a day today!  Tomorrow will be even busier.  I prepared a new entree when I got home.  Ready for it?  Cauliflower & Ham Salad.  

It's a cold dish - perfect for summer.  It was pretty easy to put together. The most challenging part was draining the cauliflower.  I was in a hurry so I micro waived it then drained it.  Next time, I will probably roast it.  That should eliminate the need to drain the cauliflower.  Oh, as for the "cubed ham," my local store (the one and only AWESOME Publix) carries Hormel cubed ham in the butcher/meat section (not with the lunch or canned meats).  Even before chilling this recipe, I snuck a bite.  It was absolutely delicious!  The sauce has some sweet-n-spicy action going on.  It bursts in my mouth.  I give it 5 wing flaps!!

I started with one of Linda's recipes:  here.  I made changes based upon what I had on hand.  I omitted the onion because ... I don't care for raw onions and I was not in an oniony mood.  I don't do pepper much either so I left it out.  With the sweet relish, I might omit the Splenda next time.  I absolutely LOVE (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!) Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt.  It has salt, herbs & spices, dehydrated onion, and dehydrated garlic.  



Cauliflower & Ham Salad
7 oz cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces (I used frozen cauliflower)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1.5 tablespoons sugar free sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
3/4 teaspoon Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt
1/2 tablespoon granular Splenda or 2 drops liquid Splenda
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
4 ounce ham cubes
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped in large pieces

Place the cauliflower in a large bowl.  Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.  Drain and microwave on high 2 more minutes.   Cook until the cauliflower is slightly tender and not mushy; drain off any excess water.  Let it cool to room temperature before adding the remaining ingredients.  After it's cooled, squeeze additional water out of the cauliflower.   I used paper towels. Alternate: roast the cauliflower instead of microwaving it.


Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, parsley, salt, and sweetener.  When the cauliflower has cooled, add the dressing and gently toss to coat.  Stir in the tomatoes, ham  (if you use pre-packaged cubed ham squeeze some water out with a paper towel), and eggs.  Cover and chill at least 3 hours.  The longer you let it sit, the more the flavors meld.

Nutritional Information for the entire recipe:
Carbs:  16.13 (7%)
Protein:  17.69 (8%)
Fat:  83.58 (85%)
Calories:  950

No comments:

Post a Comment