Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Square dancing

Do si do your partner.  Alamand left your corner.  I square danced last night!  Last summer I started taking square dance lessons on Tuesday nights.  Back at the end of January, my "class" graduated from the Basic level.  Then we started learning Plus level calls.  It's a LOT of fun!  And it's good exercise.  We dance to the basic calls from 7:30 to 9:00 and then to the Plus calls from 9:00-10:00.  I've made some great friends through the square dance group.

One of the things I love about Suncoast Squares - the group I dance with - is that it's all-position dancing.  That means boys can dance as girls and vice versa.  Another thing I love about it ... no fancy dress required.  We dance in street clothes.  And yet another thing I love about it ... the hugs!  After every tip (a combination of patter calls and signing calls) everybody yellow rocks - hugs.  Good hugs can provide a pick-me-up after a long day.

Various clubs around the country have fly-ins.  Fly-ins are weekends full of square dancing.  It's LOADS of fun!  And the dancer's skills improve drastically over the weekend.  At least mine did in February when I attended my first fly-in.

If you haven't tried square dancing recently, give it a try!  

No comments:

Post a Comment