Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuna Casserole

This blogging thing is fun.  Who knew?!?!!  I'm hoping some of my online friends find me.  I know I'll get positive feedback from them at least!  Y'all have realized by now that I cook low carb.  That's obvious from the title of my blog.  Hey, that's cool to write ... my blog.  My blog.  My Blog.  :-)  Okay, back on track.  I cook low carb.  What might not be so obvious is that I try to  make my recipes LCHF aka low-carb-high-fat.  I aim for an intake ratio of at least 70% fat.  The rest (carbs, protein) depends upon my total intake for the day.  My goal is to eat no more than 20 carbs - total.  Not net.  For the time being, I don't count calories although my tracking program keeps count.

On the heels of a successful foray into the kitchen, I had a less successful one tonight.  I made Tuna Casserole.  Now you should understand, I've been making tuna casserole since I was 8 or 9 years old.  It was a staple for dinner.  And I was good at preparing it!  Back then, I made it with pasta and cream of mushroom soup.  Then my dad read about the Atkins Diet Revolution, and we swapped out the pasta for peas or green beans - and never looked back.  We did top it with french fried onions (those yummy things in a can).  I KNOW how to make a kick-butt tuna casserole.  And I biffed it tonight.  LOL  


Actually, it wasn't bad. It just lacked seasoning (I'm used to using tuna canned in olive oil and have switched back to tuna in water) and was a bit watery.  The watery part is the cauliflower.  I give it 3 wing flaps.  Next time, I will roast the cauliflower instead of boil it.  I would also use about 1/2 the amount of cauliflower.  And will add mushrooms.  If this doesn't work out the second time, I'll go back to my other recipe (made with mayo and sour cream instead of HWC).

Here's the recipe:

1.  4 cans of tuna in water, drained very (very, very) well
2.  16 oz frozen cauliflower
3.  3 stalks celery, chopped (larger cut)
4.  3/4 heavy whipping cream (HWC)
5.  8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (large holes)
6.  2t Penzy's Fox Point seasoning

Preheat oven to 350F.  Boil cauliflower and celery until tender.  Drain very (very, very) well.  Season with Penzy's Fox Point.  Set aside.  Heat the HWC and add Fox Point seasoning to it.  Put 3/4 of the shredded cheese in a casserole dish.  Add heated cream and mix to melt the cheese.  Add the tuna and mix.  Add the cauliflower and celery and mix.  Pop, covered, into oven for 20 minutes at 350F.   Remove lid.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake another 10 minutes.  

Nutritional Information for entire recipe:
Carbs:  35.93 (6.77%)
Protein:  181.67 (34.32%)
Fat:  140.25  (59.45%)
Calories: 2,123

No comments:

Post a Comment